Monday 27 May 2013

Alt-J (∆)- An Awesome Wave

Hey folks

Alt-J has a new unique voice and it's unlike any band I've heard before; a perfect balance of great lyrics and sounds. Plus they have some great harmonies hidden among the effects. I don't have the deluxe version (yet!) but I am loving the version I do have. I've always liked artists with intros and interludes and this album is packed full of them. In my opinion to get the full effect you really have to listen to the album in order but there are some awesome stand-alone songs too. For example 'Breezeblocks':

The lyrics and video suggest its about a murder but it could also be a dramatic break-up. The "Hey"s are an awesome addition within the song and always make songs more enjoyable. The song starts slow and then builds like a kinda crescendo but then falls again, and dare I say it, but it's almost like a wave. Although the repetition does get a little dull after a while the song instantly changes to something different. Some of my favourite lyrics are:
1) "Never kisses, all do you ever send are full stops"

2) "Muscle to muscle and toe to toe
The fear has gripped me but here I go"
 
3) "She's morphine, queen of my vaccine
My love, my love, love, love, la, la, la"

Although 'Breezeblocks' is my favourite song there are plenty of other really good ones; like 'Intro', 'Something Good' or 'Taro'

Taro is another incredibly original song. It begins almost like a lullaby before the drums enter. Newman's quick lists of words makes the song especially enjoyable, but the most interesting part of the song is the almost Indian style. It sounds like a sitar is used and I've never heard any British song like it. There is no official music video for Taro but this fan-made video works very well with the song: 

I've said how I love when songs make references and perhaps my love for alt-j is really provoked by their constant references. Whether its to maths ("31415, alive no longer my amour"), using french ("Elle a besoin de toi, cela vient de Matilda"), even literary mentions (Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak) and thats to name but a few. Alt-J are a innovative new face of music and definitely worth listening to.

xxBeth






No comments:

Post a Comment