Tuesday 28 May 2013

The Lumineers- The Lumineers

Hey Folks,

'The Lumineers' is an American band who became popular through their single 'Ho Hey'. I love this song and despite how many times I listen to it still feels me with this kind of happy zeal. I love songs with repeated "Hey"s and this song is full of them, even the title tells you that. The lyrics also are uplifting, talking about true love and destiny, etc; makes an awesome 'summer track'. In fact the whole album is summery although some of the songs aren't as uplifting that doesn't mean that they're not brilliant, for instance 'Slow It Down' is a soft and sad song but no matter how many times I listen to it I just don't get bored of it. However, my favourite songs on the album are the ones with this almost celebratory vibe, the ones that make you want dance with around with your friends and make you feel the urge take risks and compel you to sing them aloud.

This 'celebratory vibe' is supported by the talking heard in the background of 'Classy Girls'. This band would be great to hear live because the band evolved while playing in bars and you can tell in their music. I think even the clapping they use, and maybe even the afore mentioned "Hey"s, was a device to rally their audience, it's certainly won over the music scene now because the band has been nominated for several awards. I just hope the fame lasts and their next album is just as successful.


My second favourite track on their album is by far 'Stubborn Love' and I know I've said it so many times already but it is uplifting. The repetition of "Keep your head up, keep your love", the quick then smooth dynamics of the cello playing and the "ooh"s and "aah"s in the second verse really make this band one of the best folk bands in a while. I also love the slow and calm beginning to the song which then builds and builds only to go calm again at the end as they sing "Head up, love". 


I could go on for ages picking out all the little bits and pieces which I like in this album, I could even comb through every song picking out each adored instrument use(the tambourine beat in "Flowers In Your Hair) or every single cherished lyrics ("Don’t ask for cigarettes, she ain’t got nothin left for you" in 'Slow It Down') but I think The Lumineers is one of those CDs, one of those bands even, where everyone will like a different element of the songs so listen on spotify or invest in the CD because I highly doubt you'll regret it. 

Also, side note if anyone has any blog recommendations or CDs they want me to review next don't hesitate to comment and tell me what you think. Thank you!
 xxBeth




No comments:

Post a Comment