Sunday 26 May 2013

Foster The People- Torches


Hey folks,

Today I'm going to review the album by Foster The People called: "Torches". 
Foster The People's song 'Pumped Up Kicks' was the band's ride to fame, leading them to numerous awards for the band, the song and even the album.








My Favourites

1)Helena Beat
The lyrics in particular drew me towards this song.
"Sometimes life it takes you by the hair
It pulls you down before you know it
It’s gone and you’re dead again."
The first line kinda reminds you of the fragility of life and this adds to the point of the music video and also begins the kind of morose cheerfulness of the song. 
And, by morose cheerfulness I'm talking about the repeated "yeah yeah and its ok". The message of the song seems to be life is hard but we get on with it which is a common theme in their songs, and one I personally really enjoy. The best part about this song is the repeated chorus, with the background vocals making this impression that it's being sung by a whole party of people. Despite it's quite depressing meaning the song is actually uplifting and is especially fun to listen to with a whole group of people singing it together, almost united in the "ok"ness. 

2) Pumped Up Kicks
There is no hiding from the dark and upsetting inspiration behind this song as it hints at either a school shooting or at the least an abusive relationship. The verses sound almost submerged and add to the eery and threatening lyrics. I like the repeated "run" in the middle, before the whistling. The whistling itself is also a cool effect and a brilliant part of the song. I think it's part of the reason it became such a 'summer hit' in the first place and, though some argue it doesn't fit with the message of the song, I definitely think it does because it continues the kind of awesome eery atmosphere.
The repeated drum beat also really adds to the song. And I love the chorus, although this is a sinister song I think again Foster The People have created yet another 'morose cheerfulness' song, as the sound reminds you of summer but the lyrics actually have some meaning behind them. Love it!

3) Houdini
Unlike the others on the list, I didn't instantly warm to this one, in fact it took weeks of groaning as I realised the song was stuck in my head yet again before I finally accepted it and actually began to like it, and now its one of my faves (the music video definitely helped with that also though)!
The beginning of the song is almost reminiscent of Dizzee Rascal's 'Fix Up Look Sharp' but then it adds an almost video game-esque effect which introduces the song. These 'video-game' sounds continue throughout making the song more interesting. 
Lyrics are a key factor in a good song and this song has great lyrics:                      
"Got shackles on, my words are tied
Fear can make you compromise"
These are easily my favourite lines and the general essence of the song seems to be a kind of feel-good message as the words give you faith in your abilities. 
I also like the allusion to Houdini in the title of the song. I love it when songs allude to culturally relevant, or even irrelevant if I'm honest, people, places, stories, etc. 

Torches is a super album and I would definitely recommend it; a feel-good summer album with an edge.
xxBeth




No comments:

Post a Comment